Sunday, June 23, 2013

Berry Wonderful Scones!

Finally got around to making scones, which I have been wanting to do for a long time now. Fresh berries never last very long in our house -usually devoured within minutes. BUT they were on sale so I was able to stock up and there were some left over after we were done gobbling up them up.

 

Recipe I found was on AllRecipes.com that had great reviews and I modified it a little. It took me a few searches to find one that did not require sour cream or heavy cream or buttermilk - because I didn't want to go to the store this morning! So this one can be made with everything you have in-stock.

Ingredients

  • !

"These cookies you brought are terrible. They're too hard." "They're not cookies, they're scones." "More like stones." Zuri & Bertram from "Jessie" on Disney Channel

Note: I added one extra tsp of baking power because of the above quote :)I wanted fluffy scones, not rocks.

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. I lined mine with tinfoil and greased that for a quicker cleanup.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in butter.
  3. Mix the egg and milk in a small bowl, and stir into flour mixture until moistened.
  4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead briefly. I added a little extra flour at this step as it was pretty sticky. 
  5. Gently knead by hand into a large rectangle. Sprinkle fresh berries down the middle and fold both ends over so you have a long rectangle that is approximately 3 inches across.
  6. Cut 12 generously sized triangles
  7. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
For spacing reasons, I actually did 6 per sheet because I was not sure how much they would expand. Worked out nicely



 
Glaze: Combine confectioner's sugar and a little bit of milk and 1 tsp of vanilla extract in a bowl. Brush with pastry brush - because it's fun and both you & your 3 year old will love to paint the scones! I didn't measure here, just add a little and add more if you need to!





No comments: